Sometimes things start out really well and then it all goes to hell. That’s this kit. It started out awesome. This was the first car kit, based on a real vehicle, in a few months and I wanted apply some of detailing techniques I had learned.
First off, it’s an ’88 Mustang GT. When I was a teenager, these were new and one of my favorite cars. If you know nothing about the late 80’s, early 90’s car scene, this model is legendary. Despite it’s boxy, unattractive look, it’s box-stock performance and how easy and cheap it is to modify, made these Mustangs something every car loving teenager wanted to own.
About the kit, it’s a MPC/AMT kit and it’s pretty damn inaccurate to the full-sized version. But it does have the option to add t-tops. You can’t go wrong with t-tops!
Building this beast… Since it was so lackluster, I wanted to use this as a practice piece and apply some learned knowledge. At first it went well. Winding my own coil springs, flocking the interiour, detailing the undercarriage and motor with hoses, brake lines, plug wires. But once I started putting all of the pieces together it went to hell. Nothing fit right. I had to modify and hack at all the pieces I spent so long detailing.
Painting the body. After spending too much time prepping, sanding and filling the body, I was very impatient to throw down a coat of paint. I wanted to replicate a Cabernet red GT, one of my favorite factory colors. After buying the wrong color of Testors dark red enamel (note to self, always red the label on the bottle, don’t assume the stock boy put the right paint in that location), I decided to skip airbrushing and just use a spray bomb. Even though I realize the Testors spray can for this color is notorious for coming out of the nozzle in big clumps, I still decided to go with that method. As you can predict, the paint came out splotchy, had runs and generally looked like crap. So, I stripped the paint, re-primed and just used my airbrush.
After laying down a nice smooth coat, things looked great on the body. But I wanted to clear the body, wet sand and buff. I just did that on another project and that looked pretty sweet. At least I’ll have a model with an awesome paint job. Well it did look sweet. But then I wound up using too aggressive of a rubbing compound and rubbed through the paint in a couple spots. Sigh, I am not repainting it again.
Regardless of the errors, I learned a few things. I also confirmed that building cars are just far harder than building figures or dioramas. Oh well, off to the next project.